Who is eligible for the Economic Impact Payment?
US Citizens or resident aliens who:
- Have a valid Social Security Number
- Could not be claimed as a dependent of another taxpayer
- Had adjusted gross income under the following limits:
- Tax filers with adjusted gross income up to $75,000 for individuals and up to $150,000 for married couples filing joint returns will receive the full payment. For filers with income above those amounts, the payment amount is reduced by $5 for each $100 above the $75,000/$150,000 thresholds. This reduction applies to the economic impact payment for a qualifying child. Single filers with income exceeding $99,000 and $198,000 for joint filers with no children are not eligible. Social Security recipients and railroad retirees who are otherwise not required to file a tax return are also eligible and will not be required to file a return.
Most eligible U.S. taxpayers will automatically receive their Economic Impact Payments including:
- Individuals who filed a federal income tax for 2018 or 2019
- Individuals who receive Social Security retirement, disability (SSDI), or survivor benefits
- Individuals who receive Railroad Retirement benefits
The IRS does not have my direct deposit information. What can I do?
Complete this free online form* so that the IRS can identify you and your dependents, and receive valid direct deposit and address information about you. This information allows the IRS to calculate your eligibility and send you the Economic Impact Payment.
- Full name, current mailing address and an email address
- Date of birth and valid Social Security number
- Bank account number, type and routing number, if you have one
- Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN) you received from the IRS earlier this year, if you have one
- Driver’s license or state-issued ID, if you have one
- For each qualifying child: name, Social Security number or Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number and their relationship to you or your spouse
*clicking the above will take you from the IRS site to Free File Fillable Forms, a certified IRS partner. This site is safe and secure.